Friday, August 10, 2007

A Winner! WOO HOO!

You may not believe this ...

I have been wandering around Blogdom, looking at what is out there and what people think, and also trying to figure out how they drive traffic to their blogs. Some participate in Wordless Wednesday (I did, over at Ant Thymes), or Thankful Thursday (I did, below, but didn't post a link-back to it), or other group effort in Blogdom. Some offer Blog Candy -- goodies, usually geared toward the creative types (and I will probably do this eventually over at one of my other blogs). And some have contests.

I found a couple interesting sites and blogs run by writers, wannabee writers and the like. One had a "Show Don't Tell Contest." She gave us a sentence -- a bland, dull, uninteresting sentence:

"She saw the dog and grew afraid."

The challenge was to rewrite the sentence into a paragraph or more and to show what was going on.

I wrote up a quick, first draft, sort of dumb entry. Later I came up with much better ideas, other storylines and much better edits of the entry. But, the deadline had come and gone and that was that.

Well, the winner was announced this morning.

Since I've set my home page to my e-mail account, that news greeted me as soon as I turned on the laptop and clicked onto the Net. WOW!

Then I thought about it. "I bet no on else entered the contest. Yeah, that's it. I won by default. Oh well, winning is winning after all, even if there is no competition."

Check out the challenge here:

http://incurable.hoyeya.net/?p=264


And Missy's reasoning for why I won can be found here:

http://incurable.hoyeya.net/?p=277

Kind of gratifying to find out I wasn't the only entrant. Wish more had played along, though. Maybe someday I'll get around to offering a writer's challenge ... or a photographer's challenge ... or a papercrafter's challenge ... or, or, or, or ...

'Til then, wander on over to Missy's site. Use either link above or the one in the sidebar.

No comments: